I am an Icelandic sculptor and have an international career of over 40 years. I did my Art Foundation Course in Portsmouth College of Art and Design and then finished my BA in Portsmouth Polytechnic in 1978 in England. From England I went to Bologna in Italy and studied sculpture in the Academy of Fine Art in Bologna. Presently, I hold an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Hull, England and the Order of the Falcon granted by the President of Iceland for contribution to the visual arts in Iceland and abroad.
After my studies in 1980 I returned to my native country, Iceland, and opened a studio in Reykjavik. During this period I exhibited widely in museums, galleries and public places with solo shows in Iceland, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, England, Germany, Canada and the United States.
I have through the years been a public speaker worldwide and been a guest lecturer at many universities in Europe and USA. Through these lectures I have reflected on how my Icelandic and Arctic origin has influenced my work and how the work relates to this distant land of extremes, both in the character, material, colour, atmosphere and texture of my sculptures. I am also very interested in making art accessible to the general public as it encourages people to see art as a meaningful part of everyday life and focus on understanding and communication. I have staged several temporary public art exhibitions in hearts of many cities in Europe and the US as well as done numerous permanent public art commissions worldwide.
My latest work are the public art exhibitions CONNECTIONS and ARMORS which opened in Denmark in August 2021 in collaboration with the Danish Institute for Advanced Studies (DIAS) at the University of Southern Denmark in Odense and the Galleri Christoffer Egelund and supported by the Albanifonden.
Here is a visual tour of Connections.
My work has been featured in numerous group exhibitions worldwide:
- The Beijing Biennale Exhibiton, Beijing, China,
- Sculpture by the Sea, outdoor exhibition in Sydney, Australia,
- Kolonialen, inaugural exhibition at the North Atlantic Bridge in Strandgade, Copenhagen.
- Heads, Figures and Ideas, Osborne Samuel Gallery in London, England,
- Fresh Figures and Abstractions at Scott White Contemporary Gallery in San Diego, California,
- From the Collection, the National Gallery of Iceland in Reykjavik, Iceland,
- Sculpture, Sculpture, Sculpture, The Reykjavik Museum of Art in Iceland,
I have also held a number of positions at various institutions:
- Board of Director at the International Sculpture Center, USA (2009 to 2013)
- Member of the board of the Visual Art Committee of the Ministry of Culture (2001-2003)
- Member of the board of the National Gallery of Iceland (1994-1997)
- Chairman of the Icelandic Association of Sculptors (1985-1987)
If you would like to learn more about me and my work, please visit:
You can also contact me:
Tel: +354 8611633